Thursday, August 10, 2006

Things sure happen fast

To quote Ferris Beuller:
bueller

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Well my life, it seems has been flying by. Summer term is nearly over. And today I got some absolutely fantastic, stupendous, serendipitous, Jesus-loves-me-this-I-know, Oh-what-a-beautiful-morning-oh-what-a-beautiful-day-I've-got-a-beautiful-feeling-everything's-going-my-way, news.

I got a job. A full time, career, benefits, vacation pay, 9-5 actual salaried career.

It is with my same genealogy firm I work part time for now. My internship ends tomorrow (Friday) and I start my full time job on Monday morning bright and early. The whole application/interview/offer process took less than 72 hours. My new manager got my name from my current manager, and wants me to start immediately. Life is wonderful, back to normal, and I am ready to start my life as a college graduate.

It's amazing how much I've learned about my life and about what I want to do with it. Firstly, I want to work towards being a fully accredited genealogist. I am hoping that I can be finished with the accreditation process in the next 18 months to 2 years. being accredited is basically like getting your masters in Genealogy, but it is endorsed by a private genealogy group instead of being an actual degree from a university. More than anything accreditation allows me to pass myself off as a true authority in genealogical research.

After my accreditation I think I want to get either my MLS, or an MBA. With the MBA I would be able to better start my own genealogy consulting company. Because let's face it I really don't know much about owning my own business. The beauty of having my own clients is that I would then be able to do a little more work from home. and since I hope to be able to stay at home with my kids, this seems like a pretty good deal if I will need to work while my kids are young. My company offers tuition reimbursement so when I do decide to go for my masters, I'm not going to be footing the whole bill. SWEET!

OK, I know that this wasn't a particularly funny post, but I am so excited about my future plans that I just wanted to share them with you. Maybe tomorrow I'll post about the other things that have been during the few months I was on hiatus.

But if you are still reading this, congrats, now go and bug Grammy and Papa to go and post about their news.

As a final note, check out this old picture of me and Bucky. I think it may be my favorite picture of all time.
Flaired Nostrils

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super-huge congrats. Let me be the first to say it. I love you. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congratulations! From what you and Heather have both said, this sounds like a terrific opportunity. And since you already know the people there and what the job entails, and you know you enjoy it, you have so much of that new-job nervousness out of the way.

Grammy said...

Yeah! I couldn't be happier for you. And I love that you are already thinking about your next set of goals. Maybe that's why you are so super-fantasmagorical. You're always looking ahead with joy and enthusiasm.

I think you only love that picture so much because you got to be the one showin' off your style in the humungous collar!

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!Heavenly Father always takes care of us!

congratulations Megan!

Adam said...

It's the best news to hear and I am glad to hear it!

Kathryn Thompson said...

You don't have to be funny. That picture is super-phat. I love it. Congrats and I love you.