Friday, March 23, 2007

Dad should be so proud.

One Christmas tradition we had growing up was making homemade root beer. This comes from my dad's side of the family. We always had a fun time making the root beer. Even after we moved to the States and started buying root beer, there was always plenty to be found at our house especially at holiday time.

In college when I was feeling homesick I would drink root beer and eat smoked oysters because it was my comfort food. Today, after all that root beer, I finally know what my gift means. I went to a party for my friend "Tobey". Tobey's birthday was last week on St. Patrick's day, so he had an Irish themed party. We played Riverdance/DDR. And we also played a drinking game. ok, so it was just a root beer chugging contest. And I kicked everyone else's TRASH!!! Yes I won the coveted king sized snickers bar. And I owe it all to my many years of training.

Thanks Dad!

5 comments:

Grammy said...

Ah, the family traditions. I am so proud...I think I'll go open up a can of smoked oysters and think of you!

Heather said...

And just how much rootbeer must one chug to win a contest of this sort?

Janell said...

Now that's a practical application of a family tradition =) Congrats!

(from a random person who wandered over from Margaret's blog. . .)

sarah k. said...

Ah Ha! So this is where you live. You left a comment on my blog a few weeks ago, but to my chagrin, all my sleuthing yielded nothing in tracking you down. This time, you didn't cover your tracks so well! Hee hee.

Kathryn was telling me the other day about the smoked oyster thing, and I'm so curious now. Where do you get them? I've never had them, and sometimes other families' traditions are worth looking in to. Will I be grossed out? Do they in amy way resemble the pig's feet? (My SIL grew up eating pig's feet, so maybe not all family traditions should be explored.)

Papa said...

Yes, but did you manage to belch the alphabet after the big win??? That would make me REALLY proud(er).