Wednesday, March 22, 2006

In which Nanties and Nuncles are discussed

I am a Nantie.
Nantie Shirt
As many of you already know a Nantie is the fancy pants way of refering to what normal people might call an Aunt. But then, if you read any of my family members' blogs you probably are already aware that we are not exactly "normal" in the "normal" sense of the word. (When I was 12, I thought it was so deep to discuss normalcy, and pretend to be a free thinking philosopher, when really I was just being 12).

Anyway, back to Nanties and Nuncles. I think the "Nantie" thing started before Laylee knew how to talk, or maybe it started when she was still putting N's at the beginning of all her words. Either way, I got to be Nantie Meg, which is the coolest ever. Pretty soon the Nanties decided that the Uncles probably felt left out, so we started calling them Nuncles, and it all kind of goes from there.

My responsibilites as a Nantie include:
free babysitting
Reading Snuggle Puppy and other books approximately 12 million times in a row
Singing silly songs
Providing fun things, like my camera case, for teething Magoos to chew on
Magoo
Making Fish Faces
Discussing matters of Court with Princesses
Encouraging Tickling between cousins Magoo and The Bean Tickling is always encouraged
And taking pictures of Grammy Tickling Laylee
Post tickling Hysteria

Now it's time for a Sesame Street Sing-along "These are the Nanties in my neighborhood"
Most of the Code Names come from the inability of the children to say the actual names:
Nantie Thurwheat is married to Nuncle Buckwheat
Buckwheat and Thurwheat
Nantie Daring is married to Nuncle Daring
DYD & DYM
Nantie Sila is married to Nuncle Ace
Ace & Sila
Nantie Meg is ... ME!
Meg with and Up-do
Nantie Bucky (aka Buckley, Bucklintine, Bucklintino) is married to Nuncle Candy.
Candy & Bucky
All in All, we have a pretty good time.

8 comments:

Margaret said...

So in my family we are just Aunties, but it is still the proudest title on the planet! I share the joys of the duties you listed, and other similar ones.

I also have a bunch of cousins to whom I am very close, and they are having children on a regular basis, and we decided recently that being a "cousin-aunt" needed its own title, so now I am also proud to be a "Cuzaunt."

Gabriela said...

You sound like a great Nantie. I wish I had some Nanties like you around (especially for the free babysitting!).

My kids still remember when you went to Walmart and got them a whole bunch of craft stuff! You are a fun, fun, girl.

Papa said...

And may I say, you are one of the best Nanties around.

Anonymous said...

I love you nanti meg
I like my code name. You can use my real one though. I am gonna have one of those open blogs where I tell people my name.

Justin said...

Wow, those are some impressive titles, not to mention confusing for the first few times you read them for the non-family-member (which I sort of am). Afterwards, they just make me feel lost and homesick...for a place where I understood all the words being said. You see, sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your name (dun dun dun) and they're always glad you came (dun dun dun), You wanna be where you can see, your troubles are all the same--You wanna go where everybody knows your name.

NORM!

Grammy said...

And what a fantastic group of Nanties and Nuncles you are too!

Also, whoever made those identifying t-shirts for us all for Christmas ---Genius, I tell you. Pure genius!

Oh, that was you, eh?

Love you, Nantie Sweetheart!

Kathryn Thompson said...

You are the best Nantie ever! I love you and I loved this post. You are such a light to me. You just light me up when I talk to you or read your stuff.

Anonymous said...

Nice definitions, and nicer pics! :)