Saturday, May 27, 2006

On the upside

Well, I'm back, and life is still life, but it doesn't seem nearly as overwhelming as it has in the past. Thanks for all your prayers and support, they mean more than you know.

I don't have any funny stories or anything, but I've been thinking a lot about Memorial Day this weekend. Maybe it's because I am working for a genealogy company and so Memorial Day is a pretty big deal (I've had three e-mails about it in less than 24 hours). I've had three grandparents pass away, the one that I've been thinking of the most is my Grandpa Joe, my mom's dad. Grandpa passed away a few years before I was born, and the only way I've ever really known him is by the stories my parents and uncles tell about him.

The first time I remember hearing about him was when I taught myself how to whistle when I was about 3 or 4. My mom sat me down and told me about how Grandpa would whistle everywhere he went. The stories kept adding up, how he dipped his bananas in sugar, was the world's picky-est eater, how he would take the steps two at a time, and the way he cared for his children and his wife. My mom always told me that she thought he must have sent me to her and my dad. One aspect of this was that I was a right holy terror when I was really young, and Grandpa would have thought it was a good laugh, another aspect of this is that mom said I reminded her of him in many ways.

This has always made me wonder about the day when I will get to meet him. The closest I have ever come is when I was working on a paper for one of my genealogy classes and had a chance to listen to an oral history Grandpa made in 1978. It was one of the best experiences of my life. I got to hear my grandfather tell the story of his life, growing up a well-mannered-tennis-playing-garage-deconstructing-hyperactive-boy, falling in love with my grandmother (he was totally smitten, he proposed everyday for 3 months until she said yes, mostly to see what his reaction would be, he wanted to be married right away, but Grandma's mother thought she was too young to marry), and then the experiences he had as he became a father, lost children prematurely, and found his faith.

There are so many more thoughts I have about this wonderful man, but I don't have the time or space to share them all.

What are your favorite memories of your family?

4 comments:

Grammy said...

Meggie, Thank you. I'm sure my Dad DOES love you, and not just because you had GLINT (This is what my friend calls that bright look in a child's eye when they are so busy and active and mischevious).

He would have loved your gentleness, your faithfulness, your humor, your dimples,that you majored in family history, your love of sweets, your wizardry at cooking, your smile, your incredible singing voice, your confidence in trying new things, your quilting, the way you tenderly care for ALL of us, and a million other things.

I am so glad that you have been able to come to love Dad, even without meeting him yet. I'm sure that he appreicates it.

I LOVE you - TONS. And don't you forget it!

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful. I don't remember him, either. I think it's amazing that your life's work helps you remember people like this. :)

Love you,
Heather

Anonymous said...

My Grandpa has also since left this world but I still think about him too. My mom says that he would sneak into her track meets when she specifically had said she didn't want an audience. He loved to watch sports and my mom said once that he would've loved to watch me run track, so whenever I run I always think he is cheering me on! It is so important to me to feel connected to him in that way, just like your most fabulous connection with your grandpa. Meg you are SWEET! Love ya!

Gabriela said...

What a sweet post Nantie Meg. I bet your Grandpa is watching over you and can't wait to meet you in person either.